When was the last time you made a Bloody Mary with the wrong juice?
“A tisket, a tasket, a green and yellow basket”...I know; what does that have to do with the tomato?! Since I was little, it was a song that made me think of what some say as, ta-MAY-toe (tomato) and others say ta-MAH-toe. However you say it, the fact that is known is that the tomato is the most popular vegetable in America and enjoyed by millions all over the world. And I say, vegetable, lightly because some would argue that the tomato is a fruit.
Today I want to talk about what I feel is the BEST Tomato Juice for Bloody Mary’s out there. I have gone on a search to figure out what tastes, smells or looks the greatest of all tomato juices. My goal is to find the tastiest, zingiest, full bodied, tomato juice for a Bloody Mary!
Let us give you some advice including flavor profiles of some of the more popular brands of vegetable juice out there.
“Schmoozing” up to the bartenders and pretty much bugging them for their recipe got me some insight into the secret world of small batch tomato juices. And you know what? I never really, really, paid much attention, well maybe a little attention, to what makes a great tomato juice. Outside of the bars, I found a combination of grocery store, organic and specialty brands to check out before I started taste testing them. One thing is certain, Devil Daves Bloody Mary Sticks is the best Instant Bloody Mary seasoning to go with any tomato juice! If you've never tried a dry Bloody Mary mix before, then absolutely give them a try!
I just want to add here while I am talking about this that tomato juice has so many health benefits in it. It offers an excellent source of Lycopene, the antioxidant linked to fighting certain types of diseases like the dreaded Cancer or Heart Disease. Tomato juice is also rich in potassium, folate and vitamins A and C. Pretty much one glass (8 oz) can provide you with a full serving of vegetables. The best part is, that all of these ingredients in Bloody Marys, actually cut down on the chances of you getting heartburn? So yeah, drink as much Devil Daves as you want!
So let’s begin our list. You can rearrange them for yourself, but here they are in my favorite order from absolute best tomato juice to use for Bloody Marys to the not so favorable! I mean, you could always look up the best Bloody Mary mix on Amazon or grab some conglomerate mass produced mix that spoils in 4 days. Or you can make your own with a little help from our list here!
- V8 Vegetable Juice- V8 has been around for more than 75 years! Wowsa! This juice is delectable! Not to mention extra healthy! It has no extra sugar in it and it tastes amazing! It’s MY personal FAVORITE EVER!! It has a great consistency and feels “real” in your mouth. It has substance, you know? I just love the mix of the other 7 ingredients in it. It truly is the best of the best (to me!) Not only is the Original V8 amazing, so are it’s other sister and brother versions. I like it HOT!! I love the Spicy V8 and sometimes I like to be extra healthy in my choice of drinking tomato juices and I choose the low sodium version. V8 has over NINE DIFFERENT VERSIONS of vegetable tomato juices! It’s just great!
- Sacramento Tomato Juice-I do love this brand a lot and I would consider this to be my second best tomato juice in the world. I really enjoy that this juice is smooth in your mouth; the way it runs its way through your “sea” of taste buds. It’s a full-bodied juice with this fresh squeezed, sweet and tangy in one. It just hits me in a good way.
- Mott’s Clamato Juice- You know what? This is really popular among tomato juice drinkers and especially for uses in specialty drinks. I personally don’t like clams so I had my co-tester try it for me. She said, it’s the best ever juice she has tried. She said that with the subtle hint of clam juice in it that it offers that extra punch some people look for in a tomato juice. She also said that it’s a great mixer juice to Bloody Mary’s.
- Delmonte 100 % Tomato Juice- We all know the Delmonte name is a brand that has been around for a long time and they make great tomato products outside of juice. And we can also say that this tastes natural. It’s simply just good tomato juice. Wholesome. Trusted. That aside, this feels like it has a heavier character to it. Maybe it’s the kind of tomatoes they use? This is just a straight forward, delicious, tomato juice. Nothing in it to surprise you.
- Cambell’s Tomato Juice- It has a deep flavor and kind of like a souped up, creamy version of Campbell Tomato Soup with a little extra kick of lime in it. This too has been a staple in the tomato juice industry. It’s plain, but in a good way. It’s not as thick feeling to drink.
- Kagone Sweet Summer Tomato Juice-It is kind of thin, slightly sweet, but at the same time it seems to have a touch of lime in it. In this particular juice the lime works against the tomato flavor in my opinion. Depending on whether you like your taste buds to stand up or not against the tang of lime…perhaps will decide for you your own ranking of it.
- W. Knudsen Organic Tomato Juice- is often found by many, a favorite juice with its substantial tomato-y flavor. It’s described like having just picked tomatoes fresh out of the garden taste. You know what I mean? Freshest fresh picked flavor. Natural. Simple and delicious. Aromatic.
- Lakewood Pure Tomato Juice- well it just didn’t really cut it for me. Thin and not much flavor, but again that is my opinion. It’s flat tasting. I wanted it to kind of pop in my mouth but just didn’t compare to some others
- Welch’s Tomato Juice- has a consistency that is in comparison to the others, a middle of the road rating. It’s semi-sweet tasting, with that a middle of the road consistency. It’s not too thin, but not too thick either when it wallows on down.
- Mott’s Tomato Juice- This tomato juice was in a can and sometimes that can do something to a tomato juice I think. It changes it somehow. It was abstract in flavor, like a certain acidic taste to it. It tasted viney or earthy which can be alright for some. It was thick and had that tomato flavor but overall was just OK.
To see more about our products please visit the homepage - Devildaves.com